A Map Showing A Sub-3-Hour Marathon In Each State

A Map Showing A Sub-3-Hour Marathon In Each State
Blue dots are the 50 sub-3 marathons and green are the 10 missed attempts since my 1st sub-3-hour marathon at the 2009 Boston Marathon

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

8/50 - Kentucky Derby Marathon

Why run just one marathon in a weekend?  The Kentucky Derby Marathon on April 30, 2011 and the Flying Pig Marathon on May 1, 2011 (separated by a 100 mile drive) seemed like a good way to kill a weekend – that is provided you enjoy self-inflicted pain and a challenge. Me, I just like efficiency.  Also, it gives me a higher status with the Marathon Maniacs (http://www.marathonmaniacs.com), a group of marathon runners that make me feel like a slacker. 

Training for this double marathon weekend required a different approach. After taking one month off, I prepared a 10-week training program that had me running the same long run on Saturday and Sunday.  I ran double long runs ranging from 12 – 21 miles.  Ok, so I committed to eight of those weeks; call me a B- student!  This approach quickly had me in very unfamiliar territory again – high mileage!  I had four weeks that were close to 70 miles. I was hurting in ways I have never hurt.  Of course, I had no idea what to expect from these back-to-back races and given that I was going to run 52.4 miles over the course of that weekend, 70 miles per week (about eight hours of running) didn’t seem inappropriate – but it sure wasn’t pleasant!
We drove to Louisville on Friday and made it to the expo in five hours. At the expo, we picked up the essentials and went across the street to the bar.  I don’t really have a specific pre-race meal but I sure do prefer that it includes a beer or three!  Louisville is a quaint little city with a lively restaurant scene.  We saddled up to the bar at Bistro 301 (http://www.bistro301.com), a great bar packed with runners and nice little beer list.  Here, we met a couple of guys in town for the marathon and started talking beer, running and motorcycling.  It turns out they live in NC and MI and rode their bikes into town for the race!  I thought my wife and I were the only ones who consider ourselves both runners and bikers.  We then discovered that, like me, they are also accountants working in Chicago - small world!  It was that chance meeting that birthed the elite running group called “the 1%ers” of which we are the directors (three treasurers and a president!).  If you ride a bike or have seen Gangland on the History Channel, you’ll know the reference.  We thought it clever to give reference to the assumption that given the entire running population, only 1% likely also ride motorcycles.  If you’re interested in “patching in”, let’s talk!

The Derby Marathon is largely a half marathon event.  About 15,000 half marathon runners (or “mini marathoners” as they call them) and 1,600 marathoners participate.  This can get really annoying when both groups of runners are on the same course.  For this race, the issue was the congestion.  About 12 of my miles were run with the half marathoners.  Toward the end of my race, I had about two miles of weaving in and out of slow runners and walkers since we meet back up with the half marathoners toward the end. 
The weather was beautiful, approaching 70 degrees F and sunny, and the people were most hospitable.  I love the south!  The course was mildly hilly and beautiful –from the historic homes and buildings to the serene Iroquois Park.  We even ran through Churchill Downs!  Considering I went into this race with some pretty sore hamstrings, I felt incredible. So good in fact, that I abandoned my plan to run a 3:10 so that I could save a little something for the Flying Pig Marathon the next morning.  I comfortably ran a 2:59 and came in 18th place overall.  I was pretty happy with that.  Now to see what toll it would take on me in Cincinnati…

Note - I also happened to meet the owner of Heine Bros. Coffee (http://www.heinebroscoffee.com) shops in Louisville for a few miles during the run, great guy.  Check out the shops if you’re in the area. 

1 comment:

  1. I still can't believe how insane (and athletic) you are. you're an animal, Brunette. I love it. love the blog.

    ReplyDelete