A Map Showing A Sub-3-Hour Marathon In Each State

A Map Showing A Sub-3-Hour Marathon In Each State
Blue dots are the 50 sub-3 marathons and green are the 10 missed attempts since my 1st sub-3-hour marathon at the 2009 Boston Marathon

Thursday, September 30, 2021

A Foreword To This Blog

This is it, a complete collection of 50 sub-3-hour state marathon short stories intended to inspire others to have fun and do big things. This goal begins at the 2009 Boston Marathon, however, I've dedicated nearly half of my life to this sport: 20 consecutive years of marathons with 75 in total as of this post, to become the 8th person to run a sub-3-hour marathon in all 50 states. 


From this PREQUEL, to my final sub-3-hour marathon state, the 2021 Sandia Crest Marathon in New Mexico on September 25th, 2021, it's evident how much has changed during this 50 sub-3-hour marathon goal's 11-year period: marriage, moves, lots of tattoos, kids, leaving my career as a CPA to raise them, and founding and operating Libertyville Running Club & Homewood-Flossmoor Community Running Club.

Upon completing a marathon in every state at the 2019 Anchorage Mayor's Marathon in Alaska, my focus turned to 5 states that needed to be re-run in under 3 hours and as a result, a new me emerged: part-time cyclist, vegan, and alcohol free. This goal had changed me. 

I mistakenly told The Wife in a moment of self-doubt that I didn't need her in New Mexico. Her presence at 32 of these marathons had tapered off since the responsibility of raising children became a priority. Regardless, she booked a flight in the final weeks to join me and my friend Bill for her 33rd and my last, a redemption of the 2018 Sandia Crest Marathon.

After all, I did need her to be present; she encouraged me to go after this goal when she took me to Fleet Feet Chicago for my first pair of properly fitted running shoes, the Nike Vomero 2, and then signed me up for the Chicago Area Runners Association Marathon Training Group in 2008 to qualify for the 2009 Boston Marathon. To have her and my friend Bill both insist on being there to assist and bear witness to this achievement means more to me than I can put into words.

The sun about to set on this goal in New Mexico

To Melissa, to Bill, and to everyone that has been a part of this 50-state journey, in person and/or following along throughout this blog, I thank you immensely! We did it. 

Cheers,

Mike Brunette

8 comments:

  1. Truly my pleasure to witness this accomplishment. -Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't be more proud to see you crush this goal, which has been such a big part of our lives for so long. If you can dream it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this kind of interested blog.

    Jessica| CBD Night Tincture

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is new to me, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

    Ivy James| CBD Distillate

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your work, and it greatly motivates me.

    Scott Martin| Inventory Management

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankfully, this website had exactly what I was looking for, and it was excellent quality.
    Raymond Goodwill | CBDA Isolate for sale

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much I learned from this blog is beyond your comprehension.

    Scott Martin| Closeout Inventory

    ReplyDelete